Thursday, July 16, 2009

Poopoo Hand, Mommy...

These were the words out of Kira's mouth this morning as she, Lia, and I were cuddling in my bed after getting them up for the day. I realized she had been digging in the leg hole of her diaper while we were laying there, and now had "poopoo hand, Mommy." Nice. I picked her up to carry her to the bathroom when she informed her sister, "poopoo hand, Lia." Lia giggled. The day was off to a great start...

Kira's "reading" books now. She still likes to be read to but also likes reading herself. The other day she climbed into her bed with Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. She opened the cover, turned the first couple of title pages slowly until she was looking at the first page with words and pictures. She put her index finger down on the words and dragged them across the page as she said, "No like ham." I died laughing. She turned the page, repeated the finger move, and said "Ham, no like." I was amazed she got the word play concept from listening to us read to her about Sam-I-Am and the Green Eggs and Ham. Then she closed the book and said, "All done." I thought, yep, she pretty much summed up the story. It was really funny.

Lia is getting so big and strong. Whenever we lay her down, she hears some signal which is inaudible to the rest of us to start rolling over and over as much as possible. It makes diaper changing time interesting. She rolls onto her belly and tries to crawl. She pulls her feet up under her belly and pushes them against the carpet but can't seem to budge that very large belly yet. She'll be crawling in no time. She's very strong. She stands up in my lap supporting her own weight for seconds at a time. She is a happy, happy baby. She has a really funny giggle. And when she smiles she opens her mouth really wide. Little fly catcher... She's something else. She's eating cereal and bananas now, and we're getting ready to move onto avocado and sweet potatoes. I'm planning on making all her baby food like I did for Kira. It's a lot of work but I like that she gets fresh, natural baby food without sugar, salt, additives, etc. Also, it's a lot more environmentally friendly without all those tiny glass jars. We bought a used chest freezer on craigslist for the basement so we cans store all the frozen baby food and breast milk there. It will be nice to have some of our food in the freezer above the fridge for a change. Haven't had ice cream in there in months!

The kids LOVE each other. Kira says "Hi Lia!" about 50 times a day. If Lia's crying or fussing and I have my hands full making dinner or something, I will ask Kira to sing Lia a song. She "sings" something (must use quote marks as it sounds like ferral cats fighting) and dances, wiggling her butt back and forth. Lia laughs and laughs. Also, Kira does this arm wave thing that always makes Lia laugh, which makes Kira laugh, which just goes on and on. Lia tracks Kira with her eyes wherever she goes. She is so intrigued by her big sister. And Kira loves to kiss and hug her baby sister. This morning in bed (before the poopoo incident), Lia was snoozing next to us while Kira and I were snuggling. Kira shouted, "Hi Lia" which of course startled Lia awake immediately. Kira said, "Lia wake, Mommy!" Thanks Kira...

No comments: