Monday, March 30, 2009

New Developmental Milestone

Tonight we saw something new from Kira: the first demonstrated memory of a previous event. Obviously, we've seen her memory in action before. She recognizes people she's met and places she's been. When we talk about Grandma McNeal, she makes the sign for "dog" because she remembers my mom's dogs. There are lots of examples like that. But she hasn't until tonight made a reference to some event that happened previously. On the way home from school, Jason and Kira were stopped by a train. Kira made the sign for "train" and said "choo choo." When the train passed, Kira said "bye bye choo choo." Then tonight at dinner, Kira made the sign for "where" and the sign for "train" and looked at Jason and I to answer her. Then she said "bye bye choo choo." I take that whole thing as her making dinner conversation. She was telling us about her day. Maybe I'm spending too much time around babies, but I was pretty impressed. Plus she is very, very funny when she says "choo choo."

After dinner Kira dazzled us by picking out the right-colored crayons when Jason and I asked her where the blue, red, etc. crayons were. She then signed and said the colors. My favorite is yellow, which she pronounces "yorlow."

After dinner Lia dazzled us with a full diaper and a particularly loud belch. Our girls are impressive.

No comments: